Tourist Attractions Nearby
Being situated right in the middle of the Thuringian forest and right on the Rennsteig Hiking Route you have the opportunity to take long walks. There are more than a hundred marked paths giving you plenty chance also to see the nearby sights.
You can visit many historical towns, which are worth seeing in the area.
We recommend you the canals with the burned-out stone, the Ohra Dam or the Tobiashammer in Ohrdruf, Europe’s biggest steam engine.
- It is 6 kilometers to Gräfenroda where you can visit the Museum of Dwarfs or watch the glassblower at work.
- It is 5 kilometers to Oberhof and its sport facilities. How about spending time in the the Rennsteig Therme, the Rennsteig Garden or take a walk up the highest mountain of Thüringen, the Beerberg (982,9 m ü. NN) and the Schneekopf (978 m ü NN).
- 15 kilometers away is Ilmenau, a university town where Germanys most famous poet Goethe also stayed and composed.
- Arnstadt, 15 kilometers away – is the oldest town in East Germany (1300 years in 2004), whose most famous son was the composer Bach.
- 33 kilometers to Erfurt, the capital of Thuringia
- 35 kilometers to Gotha – Castle Friedstein
- 42 kilometers to Weimar – town of Germany’s classic poets
- 70 kilometers to Eisenach – where you can visit the Wartburg